Saturday, May 21, 2011

PE4-Aviary


I’m actually targeting two Web 2.0 tools for my RILS project: Schoology.com and Aviary.com.   I’m hoping that this strategy isn’t too ambitious.  Asking students to work with two brand new tools might be a lot, but each should be somewhat familiar to them. 
Between Wimba and various student blogs I think we’re all familiar with Schoology by now, so I won’t spend time on that except to say that it will serve as the environment in which my students will communicate and collaborate.
Aviary.com is a site that hosts a variety of programs that rival the well-known applications in the Adobe Creative Suite such as Photoshop, Illustrator and Audition.  For my RILS project, I have focused my attention on two specific Aviary applications Phoenix and Myna.   

 


Phoenix is Aviary’s answer to Adobe’s Photoshop.  It's a pretty powerful image editor.  For a demonstration of the application's capabilities, follow the link.



Myna is comparable to Adobe Audition – a multi-track sound editor.  For a demonstration of the application's capabilities, follow the link.


My target audience is comprised of college students that have experience in one or both of the Adobe products, so my challenge to them is to use the Aviary products then compare and contrast their abilities, ease of use and application to that of the Adobe products.  Like some of our assignments in ETC, I’m not that concerned with the students’ final product using these tools.  I’m more interested in their analysis.

Since my volunteers have actually departed for the semester, I’m just hoping that they’ll still have enough drive to try these applications fully before they are overwhelmed with summer-fever.  I’m also going to work with Myna myself so check back to see how we all make out!

No comments:

Post a Comment